I hosted a quatro birthday bash last Friday. I started in the community backyard and brought it inside after 9 p.m. The menu was
Walnut Beet Dip with GF crackers
Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa with organic blue corn chips
Wild Rice Salad with Wasabi Peas
White Bean Salad
GF Banana Bread
GF Cherry Pie
Strawberry Shortcake from a Japanese bakery in the neighborhood (Not vegan. Not gluten free, either.This was requested and ordered by one of the birthday girls. It can’t be a birthday party without a birthday cake, can it? I couldn’t say no.)
Recipes of everything else are all listed on this blog. Type in the name of the dish you would like to make in the search section. The recipe page will pop up. The only 2 things not listed are Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa and GF cherry pie. I will list cherry pie later. This salsa is so easy to whip up and tasty. I’m sorry that I don’t have any picture of the food. Nobody thought about taking a photo of the food, having such a good time including me.
Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa
1/2 red onion
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
a dash of cayenne pepper
- Halve avocado. Make incisions in criss cross in the both halves. Scoop out the meat.
- Over a big bowl, scrape corn kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Chop red onion.
- Mix everything in a bowl. Taste it and adjust seasonings. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
Wild Rice Salad
When I went out for a scrumptious lunch with 2 oldest friends at New Leaf in Fort Tryon Park a few weeks ago, a friend ordered Salad Trio for me, but loved it so much she is still talking about it. What she loved so much was Wild Rice Salad in Salad Trio. The other salads were a piece of roasted red pepper and a slice of mozzarella, and mixed greens, and they were not special at all. Inspired this and having my own wild rice mix, I decided to make wild rice salad. The result: ambrosia.
For 6 good servings
1 cup wild rice (cook with 2 cups water)
2 cups chopped kale
1 carrot (shredded)
2 celery stalks (chopped)
1 cup pecans or walnuts (roughly chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried apricots (chopped)
1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
1/2 avocado per serving (peel and slice)
juice from 1 orange (about 1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp prepared wasabi
- Cook 1 cup wild rice with 2 cups water. Soak rice over night if you have time. I have a rice cooker, so I turn it on and forget about it. If you are cooking wild rice on a stove top, definitely pre-soak. Set it high until it boils. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes until water is gone and rice is done. Let it cool.
- Chop the vegetables.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a big bowl, put all the salad ingredients, pour the dressing over, and mix well.
- Peel and slice avocados (1/2 avocado per person). Spread avocado slices over the salad.