This is my first trial of vegan meatballs. I’ve been collecting recipes for them. I tweaked a bit of it. They are yummy by themselves without tomato sauce as well.
Ingredients for 20 golf ball size meatballs:
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup cooked black beans or kidney beans
3 garlic cloves (minced)
3/4 cup coarsely ground walnuts, sunflower seeds, and/or pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup roughly ground rolled oats
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
a pinch of ground nutmeg
- Splash olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Heat it. Sauté onion, garlic, kale, carrots and mushrooms for a few minutes until they welt.
- Smash cooked beans with a folk.
- Put cooked vegetables, beans, and all the remaining ingredients in a big bowl. Mix it well.
- Roll the mixture into golf ball size. You will make about 20.
- Coat a baking sheet with olive oil. Place meatballs on the baking sheet. Preheat an over at 360ºF.
- Bake meatballs for 20 minutes. Gently flip them. Bake another 20 minutes.
*I used leftover marinara sauce and served the vegan meatballs over cooked quinoa spaghetti.