I hosted a quatro birthday bash last Friday. I started in the community backyard and brought it inside after 9 p.m. The menu was
Walnut Beet Dip with GF crackers
Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa with organic blue corn chips
Wild Rice Salad with Wasabi Peas
White Bean Salad
GF Banana Bread
GF Cherry Pie
Strawberry Shortcake from a Japanese bakery in the neighborhood (Not vegan. Not gluten free, either.This was requested and ordered by one of the birthday girls. It can’t be a birthday party without a birthday cake, can it? I couldn’t say no.)
Recipes of everything else are all listed on this blog. Type in the name of the dish you would like to make in the search section. The recipe page will pop up. The only 2 things not listed are Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa and GF cherry pie. I will list cherry pie later. This salsa is so easy to whip up and tasty. I’m sorry that I don’t have any picture of the food. Nobody thought about taking a photo of the food, having such a good time including me.
Avocado Corn Tomato Salsa
1/2 red onion
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
a dash of cayenne pepper
- Halve avocado. Make incisions in criss cross in the both halves. Scoop out the meat.
- Over a big bowl, scrape corn kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Chop red onion.
- Mix everything in a bowl. Taste it and adjust seasonings. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
When winter wind blowing outside, I would like to have something warm and yummy, comfort food. This is the comfort food in the oven. I made a double batch of tomato sauce a few days ago thinking of making this.
1 batch of tomato sauce
1 yellow onion, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 28 oz tomato can, 3 oz tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, a pinch cayenne, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano, 1 carrot or 1 bell pepper or 1/2 lb any mushrooms, olive oil, 1/2 cup wine
1 lb firm tofu
2 Tbsp nutritious yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1-2 lemon (2 tsp zest, 3 Tbsp juice)
1 tsp dried basil or 1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 box lasagna pasta
- Make tomato sauce. Splash olive oil in a large sauce pan, cook chopped onion, garlic, and vegetables for 5 minutes or until they become soft.
- Shake in salt and spices. Coat the vegetables.
- Squash tomatoes in the can, add them to the pan. Add wine and tomato paste as well.
- Heat to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make tofu filling. Drain tofu. Mix all the tofu filling ingredients until smooth by a mixer or blender.
- Preheat oven at 375ºF.
- Assemble. In a deep baking dish, spread 1/4 tomato sauce. Place 1 layer of lasagna pasta. Spread 1/3 tofu filling. Repeat until the dish is full. I usually use 3/4 box of pasta and run out of other ingredients. End with tomato sauce on top.
- Cover with a foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
*You can sprinkle vegan faux parmesan on top for more cheesiness and crunch.
vegan faux parmesan
Grind cashew:walnut/pecan:sesame seeds:nutritious yeast=1:1:1:1 in a coffe grinder. Mix in salt and black pepper to taste.