A friend of mine told me that I make a mean potato salad. Yup, it’s good. It is a taste of summer picnic. The secret ingredient? I don’t know…maybe soy sauce?
Ingredients: 4-5 potatoes (about 1.5 lbs), 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1 medium cucumber or 2-3 Japanese cucumbers, 1 medium carrot, 1/2 cup chopped italian parsley, 1 celery stalk, 2 tomatoes or 20 grape tomatoes, 5-6 Tbs vegan mayonnaise (Blend well: 1/4 cup raw cashew, 6 oz silken tofu, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp dijion mustard, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp sea salt) , 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbs dijion mustard, 1 tsp soy sauce, salt and black pepper to taste
- Halve the cucumber and slice as thinly as possible. If you are using Japanese cucumbers, no need to halve. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt. Let it sit.
- Scrub potatoes and carrot. Cut potatoes in quarter. Heat water to boil in a medium sauce pan, add 1 tsp salt to the water. Add potatoes and carrot. Cook until done. Carrots are cooked faster than potatoes, so when carrots are done, pull them out and let them cool. When potatoes are soft, drain.
- Chop celery stalk. Halve grape tomatoes or roughly chop tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the carrot. Roughly smash potatoes with a folk.
- Squeeze water out of cucumbers. Put all the ingredients except tomatoes in a big bowl. Add apple cider vinegar, soy mayonnaise, mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes at last.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
* I like to mold potato salad in a small bowl and flip it on a plate. It’s kind a kid’s meal.