When winter wind blowing outside, I would like to have something warm and yummy, comfort food. This is the comfort food in the oven. I made a double batch of tomato sauce a few days ago thinking of making this.
1 batch of tomato sauce
1 yellow onion, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 28 oz tomato can, 3 oz tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, a pinch cayenne, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano, 1 carrot or 1 bell pepper or 1/2 lb any mushrooms, olive oil, 1/2 cup wine
1 lb firm tofu
2 Tbsp nutritious yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1-2 lemon (2 tsp zest, 3 Tbsp juice)
1 tsp dried basil or 1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 box lasagna pasta
- Make tomato sauce. Splash olive oil in a large sauce pan, cook chopped onion, garlic, and vegetables for 5 minutes or until they become soft.
- Shake in salt and spices. Coat the vegetables.
- Squash tomatoes in the can, add them to the pan. Add wine and tomato paste as well.
- Heat to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make tofu filling. Drain tofu. Mix all the tofu filling ingredients until smooth by a mixer or blender.
- Preheat oven at 375ºF.
- Assemble. In a deep baking dish, spread 1/4 tomato sauce. Place 1 layer of lasagna pasta. Spread 1/3 tofu filling. Repeat until the dish is full. I usually use 3/4 box of pasta and run out of other ingredients. End with tomato sauce on top.
- Cover with a foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
*You can sprinkle vegan faux parmesan on top for more cheesiness and crunch.
vegan faux parmesan
Grind cashew:walnut/pecan:sesame seeds:nutritious yeast=1:1:1:1 in a coffe grinder. Mix in salt and black pepper to taste.