Who would cut a cake like this? I ask. Someone in my kitchen did… This was what I woke up to this morning. Pears are in season now. Believe or not, pears have more nutritious value than apples and prices are comparable. Use them. Ripe timing of pears seem to be shorter than apples, but for this cake, the ripeness of pears don’t matter since they will be cooked in the oven. This batter seems rather dry before it bakes, but juice of fruits come out as they are baked and loosen up the batter. The result is a very moist cake, more like a pudding.
Ingredients (for 9×9 baking pan):
1 lemon (juice and zest)
2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup raw almonds (grind them to meal)
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour mix
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup orange juice or any vegan milk
1/4 cup sunflower oil or earth balance
4 oz apple sauce
To Serve (optional):
1 Tbs blackberry jam per serving
1 Tbs lemon juice per serving
1 Tbsp water per serving
vegan ice cream or coconut whip cream
- In a small bowl, put 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds in. Add 1/4 cup orange juice or any vegan milk. Stir. Let it soak.
- Core pears. Dice them. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp brown sugar.
- Oil the baking pan. Dust with flour.
- In a big bowl, mix oil, soaked flaxseeds, almond extract, and applesauce.
- Add the rest of ingredients in the big bowl. Mix.
- Fold pears in the batter.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan. Flatten the surface with a wet hand. It’s chunky, I know.
- Scatter blackberries on top.
- Bake at 350 ºF for 40-50 minutes or until done. The top looks golden and if you press it, it’s springy.
- Let it cool at least 10 minutes before you cut.
- If you want to dress it up, in a small sauce pan, heat up 1 Tbsp blackberry jam, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp water until it melts. Add a scoop of ice cream or whip cream on a side, if you like. Pour the sauce all over the cake.
*I like this cake to be warm.
GF Apfel Kuchen
A couple friends of mine invited me to their Tikitober Party. I was told to bring something Polynesian or German. I decided to bake a GF Apfel Kuchen. How is that possible? It is so possible, but I had to taste it even before I took a picture. Thus there is a hole in the cake.
Ingredients for a 9″x9″ pan:
1/2 cup earthbalance butter (1 stick)
2 flax eggs (4 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 Tbsp water)
4 oz apple sauce
3/4 cup almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1.5 cup GF flour
1 cup almond meal
2 medium sized apples
3 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp clove
2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- Make Apple Topping. Peel and core apples, then cut into ¼ inch slices. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and arrowroot starch. Let them sit.
- Mix wet ingredients: melted earthbalance, apple sauce, milk, lemon juice and zest, and flax eggs.
- Mix dry ingredients: GF flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add dry into wet, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each cup. Knead very lightly.
- Spread dough in a well-greased and dusted cake pan, pushing it up on the sides as for pie crusts.
- Line up or stagger the apple slices in rows on top of dough.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375°F. Reduce the heat to 350°F, and bake for additional 30 minutes or until done.
On a rainy day like today, a piece of chocolate cake puts a smile on your face. It’s moist, fluffy and chocolatey.
Ingredients: 1 cup raw almonds, 1 cup rice flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 Tbsp earth balance, 1 Tbsp flax seeds (ground), 4 oz apple sauce, 1/2 cup almond milk or soy milk, 2 squares of dark chocolate bar, 12 walnuts to garnish
- Ground almonds in a coffee grinder or a blender until they become meal.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Mix flax seeds with 3 T soy or almond milk. Set it aside.
- Put earth balance and dark chocolate squares in a heat proof cup, and melt it in a toaster oven.
- Mix remaining milk, vanilla, flax egg, melted earth balance-chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Mix well enough.
- Pour into a prepared baking pan. Place walnuts on top to garnish. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Let it cool to touch before cut, otherwise it will cramble like my piece.